Backend Engineer - Alarms & Intrusion
Who We AreVerkada is the largest cloud-based B2B physical security platform company in the world. Only Verkada offers six product lines — video security cameras, access control, environmental sensors, alarms, workplace and intercoms — integrated with a single cloud-based software platform. Designed with simplicity and scalability in mind, Verkada gives organizations the real-time insight to know what could impact the safety and comfort of people throughout their physical environment, while empowering them to take immediate action to minimize security risks, workplace frustrations and costly inefficiencies. Founded in 2016 with more than $460M in funding raised to date, Verkada has expanded rapidly with 15 offices across three continents, 1,600+ full-time employees and 20,000+ customers across 70+ countries. About the Alarms Team: As a member of the Alarms engineering team, you will be responsible for building compelling user experiences for one of Verkada’s major new product categories. This is an opportunity to take ownership over software products which keep our customers protected in times of critical need. You’ll be working alongside a small, dynamic team of frontend, backend and firmware engineers to develop these experiences. Our team operates as a startup within a startup, so you can expect a lot of autonomy and impact on the direction of the Alarms product category. If you are an experienced, Backend Engineer who is excited about building new ways to keep people safe and secure, then we want to hear from you. Who You Are:
- Excited about creating best-in-class products which protect people and property
- You can take an ambitious product or technical idea and drive it to completion
- You are excited about the idea of working on large scale backend services, computer vision pipelines and / or embedded systems.
- 3+ years of industry software engineering experience.
- Mastery of at least one common server programming language (e.g. Python or Go)
- Mastery of scalable backend design — Including databases, queues and blob storage
- Experience working in a fast-paced software development environment.
- Software architecture and API design experience
- Good understanding of at least one relational database technology, including performance and load characteristics, transactions and locking
- Experience with some of the following technologies: Postgres or MySQL, Distributed high concurrency key-value storage (Redis, DynamoDB), Docker, AWS, Kubernetes, Kafka, Embedded systems (Raspbian, Embedded Linux, FreeRTOS)
Culture and Values:
- Self-motivated problem solver: At Verkada, you will tackle large, complex problems with no clear answers.
- Teach and learn: You will learn new technologies while being entrusted with the technical ownership of major systems, and we hope to learn something from you in turn.
- Growth mindset: As a small, fast-growing startup, every day brings new challenges and opportunities for growth, and we want you to grow with us!
Perks and Benefits:
- Generous company paid medical, dental & vision insurance coverage
- Unlimited paid time off & 11 companywide paid holidays
- Wellness allowance Commuter benefits
- Healthy lunches and dinners provided daily
- Generous paid parental leave policy & fertility benefits
At Verkada, we want to attract and retain the best employees, and compensate them in a way that appropriately and fairly values their individual contribution to the company. With that in mind, we carefully consider a number of factors to determine the appropriate starting pay for an employee, including their primary work location and an assessment of a candidate’s skills and experience, as well as market demands and internal parity. This estimate can vary based on the factors described above, so the actual starting annual base salary may be above or below this range. This estimate is also just one component of Verkada’s total rewards package. A Verkada employee may be eligible for additional forms of compensation, depending on their role, including sales incentives, discretionary bonuses, and/or equity in the company in the form of Restricted Stock Units (RSUs).Estimated Annual Pay Range$130,000—$280,000 USD
Verkada Is An Equal Opportunity Employer
As an equal opportunity employer, Verkada is committed to providing employment opportunities to all individuals. All applicants for positions at Verkada will be treated without regard to race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age, marital status, veteran status, pregnancy, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.