Cyber Security Engineer (IRS)
Founded in 2003, IT Concepts’ core values – customer-centricity, teamwork, driven to deliver, innovation, and integrity – ensure we work together to be the best, realize objectives, and make a positive impact in our communities. We intentionally created and sustain our ITC culture that embraces change, experimentation, continuous learning, and improvement. We bring our design thinking problem solving approach that challenges assumptions, prioritizes curiosity, and invites complexity to deliver innovative, efficient, and effective solutions. As we continue to grow in the support of our government customers, we are looking for driven and innovative individuals to join our team.
IT Concepts is looking for an experienced Cyber Security Engineer to support our engagement with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). The IRS is seeking contractor support to streamline procedures, enhance capabilities through the integration of automated processes and tools, and boost awareness and operational efficiencies. This position will be primarily remote and is contingent upon contract award.
As the Cyber Security Engineer supporting the IRS, you will help our customer solve their most challenging issues and achieve their vision. Reporting to the Project/Program Manager, the Cyber Security Engineer is responsible for designing, implementing, managing, and maintaining the organization's cyber security systems and processes to safeguard sensitive data, systems, and operations against cyber threats and attacks. The role involves proactively identifying vulnerabilities and implementing measures to mitigate risks, ensuring compliance with relevant regulations and policies, and responding to security incidents.
- Lead in analyzing threats, vulnerabilities, and cybersecurity risks from the collected and analyzed data
- Conduct comprehensive risk assessments to identify potential security risks and vulnerabilities in IRS systems and processes
- Design, implement, and maintain cyber security solutions and infrastructure, including firewalls, intrusion detection systems, intrusion prevention systems, and other security-related technologies
- Ensure that security measures are integrated into the IRS's overall IT architecture and align with the organization's security policies and standards
- Conduct regular vulnerability assessments and penetration tests to identify weaknesses in the IRS's systems and applications
- Collaborate with relevant teams to address identified vulnerabilities and recommend appropriate security measures and patches
- Collaborates with subject matter experts, data scientists, and other team members to enhance risk perspectives in their presentation
- Contribute to the development and enhancement of incident response plans, including incident detection, containment, eradication, and recovery strategies
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams and stakeholders to share threat intelligence, risk assessments, and vulnerability findings
- Provide recommendations and guidance to stakeholders on implementing security measures and best practices to mitigate risks effectively
Location: New Carrollton, MD is the HQ - must be local
- U.S. Citizen
- Must be able to obtain IRS Clearance (MBI)
- Bachelor's degree in Cybersecurity, Information Technology, Computer Science, or a related field
- 8-12 years of experience as a data analyst/scientist or equivalent experience
- Previous experience in cybersecurity, risk assessment, or vulnerability management, preferably in a government or financial services environment
- Strong analytical and problem-solving abilities
- Possess effective verbal and written communication skills
- Knowledge of cybersecurity principles, threat analysis, and vulnerability management
- Proficiency in cybersecurity tools for threat detection and vulnerability assessment
- Ability to work well in a team and independently when required
- Adaptability and continuous learning to stay updated with evolving cybersecurity threats and technologies
- Proficiency in project management software (e.g., Microsoft Project, Jira) and Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint
- Familiarity with IRS policies, regulations, and procedures is a plus
- Knowledge of NIST Cybersecurity Framework, and ISO/IEC 27001
- Possess Moderate Risk Background Investigation (MBI) Clearance
- Certifications such as CISSP, CISM, CEH, or similar are highly desirable
We believe in generating success collaboratively, enabling long-term mission success, and building trust for the next challenge. With you as our partner, let’s solve challenges, think innovatively, and maximize impact. As a valued member of our ITC community, you have the unique opportunity to work in a diverse range of technology and business career paths, all while supporting our nation and delivering innovative technology solutions. We are a close community of experts that pride ourselves on creating an environment defined by teamwork, dedication, and excellence.
We hold three ISO certifications (27001:2013, 20000-1:2011, 9001:2015) and two CMMI ML 3 ratings (DEV and SVC).
Growth | Inc 5000’s Fastest Growing Private Companies, DC Metro List Fastest Growing; Washington Business Journal: Fastest Growing Companies, Top Performing Small Technology Companies in Greater D.C.
Culture | Northern Virginia Technology Council Tech 100 Honoree; Virginia Best Place to Work; Washington Business Journal: Best Places to Work, Corporate Diversity Index Winner – Mid-Size Companies, Companies Owned by People of Color; Department of Labor’s HireVets for our work helping veterans' transition; SECAF Award of Excellence finalist; Victory Military Friendly Brand; Virginia Values Veterans (V3); Cystic Fibrosis Foundation Corporate Breath Award
We offer great benefits – Competitive Paid Time Off, Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance, Identity Protection, Pet Insurance, 401(k) with company matching.
We invest in our employees – Every employee is provided with a stipend to invest in certifications, a master’s degree, or even a doctorate. We want you to grow as an expert and a leader and offer flexibility for you to take a course, a certification, or attend a conference. We are committed to supporting your curiosity and sustaining a culture that prioritizes commitment to continuous professional development.
We work hard, we play hard. ITC is committed to injecting fun into every day. We dedicate funds for activities – virtual and in-person – e.g., we have four season tickets to Nationals games that are available every month, we host happy hours, holiday events, fitness events, and annual celebrations. In alignment with our commitment to our communities, we host and attend charity galas/events. We believe in appreciating your commitment and building a positive workspace for you to be creative, innovative, and happy.
AAEO & VEVRAA
IT Concepts is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and a VEVRAA (Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Assistance Act) Federal Contractor. As such, any personnel decisions (hire, promotion, job status, etc.) on applicants and/or employees are based on merit, qualifications, competence and business needs, not on race, color, citizenship status, national origin, ancestry, , sexual orientation, gender identity, age, religion, creed, physical or mental disability, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical condition, genetic information of the employee or family member of the employee, marital status, veteran status, political affiliation, or any other factor protected by federal, state or local law.
IT Concepts maintains a strong commitment to compliance with VEVRAA and other applicable federal, state, and local laws governing equal employment opportunity. We have developed comprehensive policies and procedures to ensure that our hiring practices align with these requirements.
As a part of our VEVRAA compliance efforts, IT Concepts has established an affirmative action plan that outlines our commitment to the recruitment, hiring, and advancement of protected veterans. This plan is regularly reviewed and updated to ensure its effectiveness.
We encourage protected veterans to self-identify during the application process. This information is strictly confidential and will only be used for reporting and compliance purposes as required by law. Providing this information is voluntary, and it will not impact your eligibility for employment.
Our commitment to equal employment opportunity extends beyond legal compliance. We are dedicated to fostering an inclusive workplace where all employees, including protected veterans, are treated with dignity, respect, and fairness.
How to Apply
To apply to IT Concept Position- Please click on the: “Apply for this Job” button at the bottom of this Job Description or the button at the top: “Application.” You can upload your resume and complete all the application steps. You must submit the application for IT Concepts to receive. If you need alternative application methods, please email [email protected] and request assistance.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable Accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.